Navigate / search

Payment Assistance

There are several local, federal and tribal organizations that have utility assistance programs for qualifying individuals. PUD 1 does not manage or administer any assistance programs. However, you can make donations to the Canal Comfort Fund through PUD 1 and we collect and forward donations to the Community Action Councils.

Canal Comfort Fund Logo

Open to residents of the PUD 1 service area and offers assistance one time per year. This program is administered by the Community Action Councils (CAC) for Mason and Jefferson Counties. For more information on the program read the Jefferson County fund procedures or the Mason County fund procedures. For information on assistance on weatherizing your home, click here. To donate to the Canal Comfort Fund, you can fill out the fund section on your remittance section of your monthly bill or you can contact Customer Service and pledge a monthly amount to be added to your monthly statements. These donations are tax deductible and 100% of donations go toward families in need.

Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP) is a federal assistance program that is also administered by the CAC.

CAC of Lewis, Mason & Thurston Counties                                                 OlyCAP (Jefferson County)
807 West Railroad Avenue, Shelton, WA 98584                                            (360)385-2571   Port Townsend Office
(360) 426-9726                                                                                             

Tribal members

Tribal members are also eligible for LIHEAP and CITGO. If you are a tribal member and wish to determine if you qualify for assistance, please contact your tribal center or SPIPA for more information.

South Puget Intertribal Planning Agency
3104 S.E. Old Olympic Hwy., Shelton, WA 98584 (Squaxin)
(360) 426-3990

Skokomish Tribal Nation Center
 North 80 Tribal Center Road, Skokomish Nation, WA 98584
(360) 426-4232


Customers who are approved for assistance funding must still continue to pay at least 20% of the balance due on their accounts to avoid disconnect. Funds are usually sent to the PUD 6-8 weeks after approval. You are responsible for managing the 20% of the balance of your account during this waiting period. Our customer service department is very helpful regarding making payment arrangements. The District encourages you to maintain an open dialogue with the customer service regarding your ability to pay and to meet the terms of your payment arrangements to avoid late payments, disconnects and related fees.