Info Requests

The Washington State Public Records Act RCW 42.56, supports the public’s right to be informed about what their government is doing and requires state and local agencies to make public records available to the public. The Act also lists certain public records that do not have to be disclosed. These exemptions are intended to prevent unreasonable invasions of personal privacy or the use of public records for personal or commercial gain.

The Act also requires that the public records requested are “identifiable.” Your public records disclosure request must include a reasonable description that would allow a PUD employee to locate the records. A general question is not a public disclosure request.

Use this form to request a public record from PUD 1 online:

Here’s how to request a public record from PUD 1 (Paper Method):

Step 1: Get the Request for Public Record form

E-mail your request for a Public Record to: [email protected]
Download the request form from the PUD 1 website as a pdf.
If you have trouble downloading the form, want a paper copy mailed to you or have more questions please e-mail us: [email protected] or call (360) 877-5249.

You may also complete the electronic form below:

Step 2: Complete the form

After filling out the form (electronically or by hand):

  • Return it by e-mail to: [email protected]
  • Return it by mail to:
    Public Records Administrator
    Mason County PUD No. 1
    21971 N. Hwy 101
    Shelton, WA 98584
  • Return it by FAX to: (360) 877-9274, ATTN: Public Records Administrator
  • Please be sure to identify on the form the records or documents you are requesting in enough detail that a PUD employee can locate them.
  • Please include your name, mailing address, telephone, and e-mail address on the form in case we have questions about the information you want.

Step 3: Be aware of the exemptions to public records disclosure

The Washington State Public Records Act RCW 42.56 states that certain records are exempt from disclosure. These exemptions are intended to prevent unreasonable invasions of personal privacy or the use of public records for personal or commercial gain.

They include:

  • Information about District personnel, such as social security numbers, home phone numbers, home addresses, resumes and employment applications.
  • Records relating to current investigation.
  • Communication between District staff and the District’s legal counsel.
  • Personal information on customer accounts
  • Specific data regarding valuation of real estate appraisals
  • Information that if released would constitute an invasion of privacy as defined in (RCW 42.56.210).

If information has to be redacted from the disclosure, you will be provided with a redaction log explaining why the information was omitted, per state law.

Step 4: Note costs for scanning and copying of paper records

There is no charge for record requests that are up to 20 pages.

PUD 1 charges the following fees for scanning, copying and mailing more than 20 pages of documents:

  • Copying of letter and legal-sized documents: $0.15/page
  • Copying of 11″x17″ size documents: $0.15/page
  • Scanning of more than 20 pages: $0.15/page
  • Certified copies: $5.00 each
  • Postage: At cost for mailing requested materials
  • Downloaded files to a CD: $1.00 per disc
  • Copying of large maps: At cost; will vary depending on size of maps

PUD 1 will calculate any copying costs and notify you of the charge in advance.

Fill out the electronic request form